New! Skills Development Programme
The teams at Axminster Tools are built from industry professionals, craftspeople and passionate woodworkers. We work hard to ensure their knowledge is freely accessible - and now, we want to take that one step further. We're offering an exciting opportunity for one aspiring woodworker to come and spend the day with our tutors.
A brand new initiative aimed at people at the beginning of a career in woodworking or those who wish to develop a specialist skill to support their existing career.
Specialist skills development
The programme will run twice a year and will be tailored to the individual, depending on which skills they wish to focus on. Our team of woodworking tutors will work with the winner to come up with a day long course that could cover one in-depth skill or a combined session covering a range of woodworking skills.
Visit Axminster Tools HQ
The skills development programme will take place at the Axminster Tools headquarters, in our designated workshops kitted out with all the very best tools and the latest machinery. Axminster is a small, Devon market town, not far from the picturesque coastal towns of Lyme Regis and Sidmouth. We will cover the cost of accommodation for anyone who has to travel for more than two hours.
Meet the tutors
Colwin has been a woodturning tutor with Axminster Tools since 1998 and a professional turner for over 30 years. His interest in woodturning started at school where he first had the chance to use a lathe and he has been turning ever since.
Jason was introduced to woodturning at the age of 12. By 15 he attended a woodturning course with Cecil Jordan where he discovered the art of turning a wooden box. He pursued his interest in woodwork and gained a BA (Hons) degree in Furniture Design & Management. He worked for several years making furniture and bespoke kitchens, allowing him to hone and develop his skills.
Ben's eye for all things creative is second to none. He's never happier than when he's demonstrating and encouraging people to unlock their own creativity. Known for his pyrography, carving and pen turning skills in particular, Ben has a vast knowledge of all things woodwork.
How to apply
Criteria: There are no restrictions, however, applicants will need to describe how attending the programme will benefit their future woodworking career or support their existing career.
To help us get to know you we would like you to submit a short video application, no longer than five minutes. Tell us your name, your age, when you became interested in woodworking, what experience you have and how the Axminster Tools Development Programme will support your woodworking career. We would also love to see some examples of your work if you have any and hear if there are any skills, in particular, you wish to work on.
- Record your application video
- Upload the video to Instagram, tag @axminstertools and use #AxminsterToolsSkillsDevelopment
- Record your application video
- Email it to email@example.com
- If your video is too big to attach, email firstname.lastname@example.org and request a MailBigFile link
If you are unable to record a video you may submit a written application. Please answer the same questions above and include relevant supporting materials e.g. images. Applications for the Skills Development Programme close on 7th July 2023 and the first programme will take place in the summer/autumn of 2023.
Alongside the Skills Development Programme and as part of our commitment to supporting woodworking communities, we're also launching a brand new £2,000 Axminster Tools Community Grant.
Terms & Conditions
- Axminster Tools requires your age as part of your application for insurance purposes;
- Applicants under 18 will need parental or guardian permission to apply;
- Applicants under the age of 18 will need to attend the programme with their parent or guardian;
- Axminster Tools will cover the cost of accommodation for the participant. The participant will need to arrange and cover the cost of their own travel;
- Only one application per person is permitted;
- This programme is open to UK residents only;
- By applying for this programme, you represent and warrant that you own the content you are submitting and there are no other applicants with ownership claims over it;
- Axminster Tools employees and their immediate families are not eligible for the programme;
- Any applications with abusive, threatening or offensive language will be removed, blocked and will not be eligible for the programme;
- Once we have confirmed the programme attendee, we will aim to deliver the programme within 60 days;
- This promotion is not connected to Facebook, Twitter or Instagram nor is it sponsored, supported or organised by Facebook, Twitter or Instagram;
- By applying for this programme, you agree to have your name, location, video and entry featured in the promotion of this grant and any future Axminster Tools promotional material;
- The applications for this round of the Axminster Tools Skills Development Programme closes at midnight on 07/07/2023;
- There is no purchase necessary to apply, but standard broadband rates apply.