Crown Cryo Colwin Way Signature Skew Chisel - 32mm
Customers Also Bought
The first thing you notice about this 32mm skew chisel is the tapering blade, being wider at the cutting edge and narrowing towards the ferrule. The design originates from the area around Seiffen in Saxony, Germany. For centuries, these skew chisels have been the preferred tool of the famous toy makers in the region.
The shape of the skew comes originally from hand forging with a hammer. The splayed working end allowed the smith to make a wider skew from a relatively small piece of steel. The shape results in a number of benefits for the turner. These skews are easier to handle, with the flared tip counterbalancing the handle. The handle is intentionally shorter than normal. This puts your hand closer to the cutting area, giving you greater control. The tapered profile means less steel, which results in less weight, giving a far more sensitive response from the bevel when making planing cuts. The rolled edge helps to glide along the tool rest smoothly and rolls over nicely for bead forming.
Made from cryogenic high-speed steel with ash handles, these tools are destined to last. Great tools, for both hardened veterans of the skew and turners taking their first steps in spindle work.
- German influence design
- Easier to handle, flared tip counterbalances the handle
- Shorter handle gives greater level of control
- Design results in more sensitive feel when making planing cuts
- Rolled edge glides along the tool rest smoothly
- Chisel rolls evenly when cutting beads
- Cryogenic high-speed steel, long lasting edge retention
- Polished ash handle with brass ferrule
- Made in the UK