Carving Gargoyles, Grotesques, and Other Creatures of Myth
Customers Also Bought
These mysterious beasts are a popular carving subject for anyone who has ever wanted to carve a gargoyle, grotesque, chimera or guardian, or just understand their differences, will welcome this well written volume from renowned woodcarver, Shawn Cipa. This comprehensive start to finish guide to the process includes two complete step-by-step projects and an additional ten original patters for other characters like the Crouching Imp and the Screaming Keystone Grotesque. Featuring an "Artist's Approach" in which author Shawn Cipa discusses important aspects of carving each piece this book also reveals unconventional finishing processes; the history, creation and symbolism of the gargoyle and his relatives; tips for securing and mounting work and photographs of originals to inspire further works.
Shawn Cipa has been carving since 1993. He is the author of several books.
- The history, creation and symbolism of the gargoyle and his cousins
- 2 complete step-by-step projects
- 10 additional projects
- Finishing processes are revealed for an aged-stone look
- Full colour throughout
- Tips for securing and mounting your work
- Fascinating photos of ancient gargoyles found around the world