Axminster Rider Out-Cannel Firmer Gouge Wooden Handle - 20mm
Customers Also Bought
Frequently Bought Together
The carpenter’s out-cannel firmer gouges have the bevel ground on the outside of the blade. The design makes them particularly suited to hollowing and cutting concave shapes, for example finger pulls or concave recesses. The curved cutting edge makes them useful for roughing out troughs or long rebates across the grain without tearing the grain. They come in handy, when paring convex curves like those found on furniture and other shaped parts.
The blades are forged chrome manganese steel alloy, heat-treated to 59 HRC and finely ground. The handles are European hornbeam, chosen for its resilience. Sanded smooth and given a light oil finish, hornbeam has a superb feel in the hand. Each handle ends in a polished stainless steel ferrule with a shock absorbing leather washer between the handle and the gouge’s bolster.
Blade width is 20mm.
- Out-cannel gouges for hollowing or paring convex curves
- Forged from Cr-Mn steel for strength
- Heat treated up to 59 HRC, stays sharp longer
- Precision ground sides and bevel
- Hornbeam handle, matched to gouge size for balance
- Stainless steel ferrule, leather washer